Sunday, March 21, 2010

Rambling about the last lecture

First half of the lecture is Zit Seng giving us very informative session about web performance. I dare not to say I understand and remember everything, but it gives me a sense of what happens with our app normally and what thing might go wrong. The closest to us web developer is making lesser http requests, haha.

Done with growing, lets talk about the thing that happen before that. It is very common sense how normally people can vision a beautiful (and money-full) future of our app. For that far vision, some will go and plan ahead all the matters / problems that might happen if his app caught attention and million eyeballs. However, often it's not the case. What we should really do is concentrate on the most appealing features and make it excellent. Actually prof has repeatedly tell us to reduce the workload, come up with something and release early. We are also very serious about this issue, and continually reducing the amount of work to be done.


A great blog post about the similar issue: http://paulbuchheit.blogspot.com/2010/02/if-your-product-is-great-it-doesnt-need.html


The second part, which most people must agree that it is more entertaining, is about Grades, Scholarship, Meritocracy. The most intriguing idea for me is the explanation of prof about innate ability and chance to raise higher in the pyramid of (?) society. I totally agree with it and actually used a similar idea to persuade myself to be happy with what I have achieved. Thinking about it, I grew up in a countryside of Vietnam. Before entering high school, I had almost no idea about the world outside, and never thought about winning a medal in an international contest. Well, my life changed a lot after entering high school. Yet, at some points I wasn't very happy with what I got, and felt so envious with many others, who grew up in a better background and environment. I thought and thought a lot about this, and eventually persuaded myself to be happy that I have made this far from what I got at the beginning.

P/S: This whole thing reminded me of Pip and the Great Expectation.

No comments:

Post a Comment