Thursday, January 20, 2011

Practice

A striking thought come to me when I think about the running yesterday, and about practice in general. It was very different from my belief so far.

In doing heavy, harsh practice (or training), one shouldn't have to resort to too much pure willpower to finish it (ie continue because of pure determination, with no interest at all). If one reaches the state that he has lost all his interest, he should continue, but not for too long. He better takes a break soon, have some reflections or so, rather than continue just because he has to complete it! The reason is that if you relied on will power alone, without interest, you might be discouraged to repeat the training in the long run. It's like you win the current round but lose your interest, and lose the big game. Practice should be used to foster interest, not destroy it.

An analogy to this is that you don't want to eat your favorite dish repeatedly for too long. It's gonna become your hate dish. You better have it once in awhile, and the rest of the time your mind will dreaming about having it again!

However, certainly without harsh training you're not gonna be able to improve your skill. Ideally you should exceed your current limit, yet refrain from using up all your willpower. That's knowing you limit and your real limit.

That's tricky. It might not work for me, because if I stopped before I completed the training, I might feel like a loser. Also, I'm not sure how much of it is true, and to what extend or what situation should it be applied. Please feel free to give me your thoughts on this.

3 comments:

  1. I think you need to figure out WHY you are doing something.

    You need to go beyond willpower. You need to have purpose.

    You need to be doing the thing you're doing not because you force yourself, but because you want to reach the destination badly. :-)

    You shouldn't be focussing on the pain that you're currently feeling, but on the destination. That said, constant reflection is also critical.

    One example: it takes effort for me to read your blog -- and it's not like I'm very free and have nothing better to do -- so why do I do it? Because I FORCE myself? :-) No, I do it because I recognize your desire to improve to become better and I believe in you and I'd like to do my little part to perhaps help you become whom I believe you CAN become. :-)

    People succeed at doing absolutely ridiculous things against all odds often not because of willpower, but BELIEF.

    Purpose and Clarity: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Af4QLc2vhs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I agree. Maybe I lack of a greater purpose. I've thought about it for a long time. What drives me so far is the desire to improve myself, to become better everyday.

    Btw, as I do my internship at 2359media, I also like to starting up something more and more. It's very interesting. Gonna write about intern@2359media some day.(Hong Ting are really smart. Wenhan is also impressive, but more techy).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, you do lack a purpose - but it's okay. You're still young. It's not entirely uncommon.

    Take time to figure out what your purpose ought to be. Then work towards improving yourself in such as way that you get closer and closer to your purpose.

    Once you are driven by that purpose, it wouldn't feel so much like willpower.

    One thing at a time. As it is, you're already doing very well. Keep up the good work. :-)

    ReplyDelete