Friday, January 15, 2010

Make a difference?

This afternoon was interesting with a chat with Reuben and his friend Wash. I felt like many very small things suddenly connect to each other, giving me some sense of realization. Realization of an (seemingly) obvious thing.

Wash told us about his application (/ tool) to find at which time a bus come to a bus stop, how people use it and find it useful. His application adds value to the society & the users. In return, he gets satisfaction & the feeling of contributing his talents to other people. "You know, we have skills to create something like that. Right? Those who don't know programming can never do it lah."

Reuben also talked about his business. He concluded "you find something that is not good enough, try to make it better and make money out of it". Isn't it sound familiar? Yeah, prof Ben once mentioned about this method of solving an existing problem in our first lecture. Suddenly I remembered his words, linked it with the motto "make a difference" of 3216, with the words Mr. Ong Peng Tsin's purpose, linked them with the work Wash has done. Wasn't what he did making a difference? I also tried to reason what Reuben thought when started his business.. I realized that problems are numerous out there. I realized that every times I felt a service  unfulfiling, there might lie a chance.

Honestly, my first thought after that was "Oh. Wow. Now I understand... Problems are numerous out there. Vietnam has so many problems."

Suddenly I thought about coming back to "fix" Vietnam. The first time.

4 comments:

  1. I thought about coming back to "fix" Vietnam.

    That's a good thought. Learn as much as you can from Singapore and go back to help your people. :-) There are many things that you can learn here that can help you in the process. Learn them well.

    If you do become PM of Vietnam someday, remember to be friendly to Singapore. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great talking to you :)

    Had it not been for CS3216 I probably wouldn't have started talking to you too haha, even though we were in CS1101S.

    reuben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks prof = ) I will.
    and Reuben, I really enjoyed talking with you = )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suddenly I thought about coming back to "fix" Vietnam. The first time.

    I think something melted inside me when I read that. I've never thought of going back to solve Malaysia's problems. Maybe general ones, ones on the Internet, but never problems from my own country.

    Sigh. Thank you for the reminder, Hong.

    ReplyDelete