Monday, January 4, 2010

What & Why

First is a short introduction about me and this blog. I am Doan Manh Hung (call me Hung or Manh Hung), School of Computing year 1, National University of Computing. This blog is dedicated to my study in module CS3216, Software Development on Evolving Platforms. Actually this blog is created because we are required to write a blog about the module. However, I think this is a very good way to express myself and retain experiences I got from 3216.


The first post should be about why I took CS3216:


Why I wanted to take CS3216:
- Challenging. I have heard that this 4 MCs module's workload is equivalent to a 8 or 12 MCs module.
- Do something different. This is our chance to do real applications to Facebook and Google Wave. The applications must not stop at having a nice idea but being accepted and used by as many users as possible. This is a point that make the module different from most of the modules in SOC, in which we hardly can interact with our customers directly. I think it will provide a changing mindset from creating something (technically) cool to something satisfy users the most. Still, better to do cool things that satisfy users.
The fact that it is Professor Ben Leong's module also say a lot about its quality.
- Expect to meet and work with some of the best students in SOC and NUS. In a challenging, difficult module you expect to see daring, adventurous students = )



That's enough; I felt so bored of all these mundane writing. In short, I took 3216 because I thought it'd be challenging & fun. Intended to cut-off the part below also but well, let's just leave it there for now.


What do I want to learn from CS3216:
- Selling? This term, which is quite unfamiliar to me, has been repeated as the thing people learn the most from CS3216. It is not simply how to sell your products to your customers but, in wider perspective, how to show and demonstrate your cool ideas effectively, so that people understand them and like them.
- Team working. I hope to learn (experience, to be precise) more about working effectively with other people in a team.
- Some web programming experience. However, I believe I can grasp the technical stuff needed quite quickly.
- Some other cool stuff. Well, who knows all the things one can learn from something like 3216? Maybe at the end the things I learn the most from this module will not be one of the things above. Just wait and see.

That's it for the first post. Stay tuned, I will update the blog frequently.

Cheers.

2 comments:

  1. Sad to hear that you transferred. Hope you come back to National University of SINGAPORE some day :P

    ReplyDelete