Sunday, June 6, 2010

Life is a marathon

My friend told me he was tired of the business world. He was originally a technical geek, switched into business field. He was now tired and doubted his ability. He felt weak. He asked me right after I failed miserably in the Google Code Jam round 2. I felt weak too. Even though I knew the reason, and accepted that result as a consequence of my own fault / weaknesses. I still feel weak. I must say it is the worst feeling you'd want to experience. I have doubted my ability many times. I hate feeling weak. Yet have experienced that many times.

That feeling comes when you face a problem that is sufficiently harder than your ability (at that moment). No matter how talented you are, as you advance further in a field, you will find it harder to progress, you have to pay more time and effort for lesser progress. Yet, others might catch up with you very quickly, they might be still below you, but they would be able to narrow the distant in real time, because it is easier for them to progress. At that time, you will feel at your limit, want to give up, doubt your ability, etc. Every sort of unmotivated thought will visit you. They can be defined as walls to stop the weak minded. The ones who can carry on will be able to achieve great success.

The self-help book would say you must carry on. People would motivate you to carry on. Sometimes, it makes giving up looks so bad. (I think) it is important to realize that giving up is an option, just as going on, not a choice when no other choice works. It also takes effort to give up properly.

- Sometimes I gave up, because besides the fact that I am tired, the thing wasn't that meaningful to me as it was. Later I found that at this point, it is important to, if you decide to give up, convince yourself to be happy with that decision before you actually do. Otherwise you'd feel remorse, felt weak (minded) for giving up. It's how you perceive the thing. Why don't perceive it in a more positive way? Whatever happens, happened. Many times I considered it as taking break, and eventually coming back to continue the work later.

- Sometimes I decided not to give up, and move forward by my determination, rather than strength. I realized that after surpassing a certain point, everything would be at ease. I found myself much more powerful. The things I found hard before became normal, if not easy or trivial. However, it didn't last long. Soon after that, another paramount will approach, and the recursion begins.

When I decide to not give up, it is because it is my life to achieve that goal. It is my promise to myself, or it is a goal that I cannot give up on. I've moved on because of determination and ambition. I have a vivid memory of these time. I must say it doesn't work out smoothly and easily as it sounds. It takes deliberation. It requires force (in thinking). Many times, even with determination, I still can't achieve the goal I set (but something close to it).

I can't really remember if I've moved on because of pure interest (passion). How does it feel like? (I'll find out.)

*About the title, the easiest way to experience these thing is by running a marathon. Get on your feet. Stretch carefully and Run! Remember to set a goal that is sufficiently longer than your current strength (say 1.5 the distant you normally run). For someones who doesn't run regularly, 30 minutes can be a real challenge.

4 comments:

  1. Things that really matter to you and you think is really important, you should not give up on them. If you don't succeed, you just haven't quite succeeded. You never actually fail, until you give up.

    As for things that don't matter, I think you should just not do them and save the trouble of having to give up on them.

    With your blogging, I can see your English improving. Please keep at it. Maybe one day I can see you speak at commencement: http://today.brown.edu/articles/2010/05/nguyen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But prof, sometimes things are not clearly not matter at first. Often than not, it's not black or white that trouble us, but the gray stuff.

    Sometimes we want to try new things too. Before trying something, we always have a fancy views of it, until we actually do.

    :D glad that you find my English improving. I will not give up on blogging :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt terrible after round 2 too- This is because I know that if I hadn't spent so much time on A, I might have gotten a T-shirt. Life goes on and it doesn't stop moving just because of a terrible experience. Felix didn't qualify yet he went on to take part in SRM 1 hour later. I am very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah I spent most of the time on A too : ( totally lost my interest because of it. At first I thought my chance was only on B, as it seemed to be DP. However, A was more tempting. Also judged wrongly B more difficult than it actually was. I made a lot of wrong judgments / decisions in this round.

    ReplyDelete